As the Dees roll over all in their path, the Mongrel Punt Midfield Championship Belt remains fastened around the waist of Christian Petracca.
Winning the belt in the 2021 AFL Grand Final, ‘Trac has made seven successful title defences, most recently knocking over Tom Mitchell, Jaeger O’Meara, and emerging star Jai Newcombe. With the fourth-placed Saints on the radar, the challenges don’t stop coming.
Jack Steele, Brad Crouch, Jade Gresham… any of those three men are capable of a match-winning effort, but to be the man, you’ve gotta beat the man. And in a twist that works for the champ, you’ve also gotta be on the winning team to lift the title.
It’s the Dees v the Saints this week and the champ puts the title on the line again.
The world loves a winner.
Except for the losers, I guess. But the rest of us love a winner, and following the 2021 season, one man reigned overall.
Christian Petracca stood on the podium with another two medals stemming from his best-afield performance in the Grand Final. The best player on the best team in the biggest game of the year – he was the undisputed champion of AFL midfielders..
However, with a new season comes new challenges… and new challengers to the title.
As we entered 2022, the Mongrel Punt Midfielder Championship Belt is fastened tightly around the waist of the Melbourne champ, but every battle, every week would call on him to defend it. And all it takes is a bad day for his grip to loosen on that which he made his at the conclusion of the 2021 season..
The Mongrel Punt Midfield Championship is a bit of fun – let’s be honest, but it’s a bit of fun that adds a little bit of interest to each and every game the champ competes in. Who, if anyone can beat the champ?
Each week, the champ defends his title in this system. In order to unseat him, you must do the following.
- Firstly, the challenging team has to win. Like in Pro Wrestling, the title cannot change hands on a disqualification, so if you have a great performance, but your team loses, you can’t take the title. You have to beat the champ in a win. You have to outperform the champ in a win to take the title off him.
- The individual win has to be comprehensive. If a challenger has 26 touches and a goal and the champ has something similar, we call it a draw and the champ gets the benefit of the doubt to retain the title. You either win decisively, or you don’t win at all.
- No teammates can win. Only the midfielders directly opposing the champ in the middle
- The title must be defended weekly except for bye-week. That means if the champ is injured, the best player on the winning team of the game he was meant to play in wins the title.
- That also means that if a champion is eliminated from finals, the title is forfeited to the next week, where all players in all teams compete for the title
So, who will dominate the midfield in the 2022 season and turn back challengers week after week? Who will reign like Hulk Hogan or Ric Flair? And who will be an interim champ… like Kane, or the Iron Sheik?
Let’s jump in and find out.
Note – at the conclusion of the weekly update, a full championship history, spanning from 2017 to the current day is available, including a full history of title reigns and most successful defences, etc… We are now at 8K+ words in this baby, and the history grows every week. Settle in for the long haul…
Paywall… what a pain, right? Well, it is how we survive and keep the page clean of gambling ads. Yeah, that’s right – we don’t just talk about how bad they are, we just don’t accept their coin. This article is the fourth of six… maybe seven members articles this week. You can access this, additional exclusive columns, and get the game reviews from HB earlier than everyone else by becoming a Mongrel Member. Plus, you help us grow.